Monday, January 23, 2012

Moleskine in Paradise, Part 1

Moley in Paradise


Here it is! Proof! That I've been doing something other than lying on the beach all day. I'm lying on the beach AND drawing.
There's also a painting in the works, but it's not quite ready to show to you yet.


My daughter and I found these very interesting pods about a week and a half ago. They're round, and split, with a spirally looking thing in the center and they smell delicious. They're brown and hard, and very intriguing. So ever since then, I've been trying to hunt down what they are, and yesterday, I figured it out!
I was having a lovely Thai Iced Coffee at my favorite Wailuku Coffee shop, on my odd day "sans ma famille", and a delicious fragrance was wafting through the shop. I noticed the flowers on the tables looked a lot like the ones that grew on the trees that dropped the pods, and discovered that they're called a "Tahitian Gardenia" or "Tiare Flower". I like the second name best, because it sounds kind of like my name:) So I proceeded to sketch the flower, and finish my moley spread. I think it would look better with color, but I don't have anything to color it with yet...


12 comments:

  1. Lovely sketches for your new moleskine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful shades and values !
    Is it a watercolour Moleskine ? What size?
    Anyway, it's an excellent start !

    ReplyDelete
  3. My word, these drawings are beautiful. Just had to let you know :-)
    Stew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely illustrations. nature is amazing isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's just lovely. And no where does a gardenia smell better than in Hawaii! I'm jealous! :-)

    Enjoy your time there. Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!!!!! You got a moleskine! Your drawings are spectacular, love them, I can't wait to see more :) I must admit I feel a wee bit jealous that you are in Hawaii. Okay, who am I kidding I'm soooooooooooooo jealous that you are in Hawaii...it's DAMN cold here! Lol...have a wonderful time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful florals. We've missed you, it's good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely sketch - very intriguing, Thanks for explaining its story.
    DRawing and the beach - sounds lovely. I was in Maui on a holiday once, but was not drawing much then. Oh ! the images I could have caputured in my Moleskine !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely sketches, lucky you sketching on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey I just loved your blog, it has given me beautiful insights on so many things. Keep writing such good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I accidentally clicked on your blog - glad to meet another painter! I know that very uncomfortable feeling to be WITHOUT any paint, when you don't have your usual stuff/gear with you! How do you do it -painting almost every day AND having kids??

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)