Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Owl in the Mist

"Owl in the Mist" 18" x 36" oil on canvas     $1,650.00

This was a really fun painting to do. I started out in acrylic, because I like that you can glaze lots of layers to make convincing mist, but I didn't take the size of the piece into consideration, and I couldn't get a smooth color in the background. The darn acrylic just dries too fast! I really hate painting in acrylic, but it does tend to be better for wildlife...it makes it easier to do all of the finicky detail without having to wait ten years for the paint to dry. Well, I threw up my hands in frustration and dove into this with oils...I mean, literally dove in. I mixed up about a tonne of the gray color and slammed it on with the palette knife, and then switched to big, gobby brushstrokes...it was really fun! So I switched my approach completely. The oil is quite loose instead of super detailed, and I actually love that about it...
Click on this one to make it big... it looks way better:)

13 comments:

  1. its just beautiful!!! you have a really good eye for compositions :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the layout as well as the atmosphere/ feeling of this painting. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I love owls! So glazing is how you create the impression of mist..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work. Love the quality of mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow! This is absolute amazing! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He looks fantastic. And I love the mysterious atmosphere around him, it's gorgeous and feels a bit magical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a HUGE owl fan, and if I had the $$$ I would buy that RIGHT NOW! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! Limited edition prints are available at www.gofficart.com or from my etsy shop for $50! Buy one, lol!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)