Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Puppies and Pirate Ships

Captain Jack Sparrow

My Pirate Ship Cake

This past Sunday was my son, Jacob's 8th birthday. Captain Jack Sparrow is the name he picked for this precious new addition to our family. He's a darling, 10 week old, Hound/Border Collie/ Lab cross, with paws the size of tea saucers, and a gentle, sweet demeanor. He was Jacob's birthday present this year. 

Jacob decided on a pirate theme, and pirate party invitations. I was having a crazy, busy week, getting the Art House ready for the upcoming show, so he initially said, "Don't worry mom, you don't have to impress my friends with one of your fancy cakes, as long as it tastes good." What a sweetheart, I breathed a sigh of relief, planning on doing a flat sheet cake in the shape of a pirate ship, with maybe some piped designs or something. I literally had NO time. But the next day after school he sat down in front of the computer and googled "Pirate Ship Cakes." OH NO! When did my kids learn to use Google!? And sure enough, he says, "Mom, actually, I would really, really, really like something like this one...please,please, please..." pointing to a fantastic, three dimensional, carved, fondant covered beauty.
 Well, I baked the cakes at the Art House on Saturday, carved and crumb-coated it Saturday night after work, and spent from 8am-11:30 decorating on Sunday morning, the day of the party, which started at 12. But, I did it!! His friends were super amazed, and to be honest, so was I. 

9 comments:

  1. Wow, lucky son and clever mum!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think you deserve the Mom of the Year award for that creation. What a beautiful cake. And the sweet expression on that puppy's face promises many years of good companionship ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... what a sweet puppy! And my goodness - that cake is amazing! Happy Birthday Jacob!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! what a project. You are a wonderful mom. Cute dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww...you did a wonderful job of his cake!! and What a cute puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a mom!! A beautiful cake and the perfect birthday present. The puppy is just adorable!! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cake! It's so wonderful when mom's can step up to the plate and deliver the home run. That is one cute puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. how cuuuute!!

    New to blogging - randomly found your blog! ox- Cami

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)