Monday, June 13, 2011

I Heart Rocks


Click on image for larger view.


I remember being five years old, sitting on the ground beside the school swings, and being in awe of the amazing variety of rocks to choose from...way more rocks here than at my house...WoW! Lol!
And things haven't changed much! I still collect rocks, and I've passed on the "rock nut gene" to both of my kids, too. Our window ledges are veritable streambeds! 
We went on a bit of a nature walk yesterday, to check out the "new river". It's completely blown out and changed it's course since the flood. It's quite a mess down there, but still beautiful, I guess. The kids and dogs had a blast. I kept my eyes scanning the ground for cool rocks, while my hubby clicked away with the camera. Above are a few of my finds for the day...I love the heart shaped ones...:) It's watercolor pencil with ballpoint pen, on my Robert Bateman bristol sketchbook. It's not really meant for watercolor and buckled a bit. I couldn't figure out how to photoshop the weird scan marks out without making it look over-photoshopped...Anyways...that's it for now. 
Ciao!

6 comments:

  1. My mother always used to collect rocks wherever we went and they would get bigger and bigger, as the trip went on. I once found a pebble with a perfect round little hole in it, which I later realized must have been made by a worm before the pebble was a pebble. I still have it on a leather cord and sometimes wear it.
    It's amazing if you think about it how old that pebble is.
    Happy rock hunting and painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rocks too - though I think the smal ones are more likely to be called 'stones' here. I have some gravelled areas in my garden and often find myself picking out particular stones! This is a lovely drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely rocks! =) I love waterfalls and rivers with pebbles... but I am nowhere near them sadly

    ReplyDelete
  4. The heart shaped ones are always a good find but I really like the green variegated ones. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart rocks, too! You found some beauties to draw .... well done! nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look wonderful. My son bought himself a house finally (he's 38 in Aug.) and now brings a rock home from every beach or similar place he goes to and deposits them in the garden spot by the kitchen door. I think it's a common habit but a good one really. What a simple way to hang on to memories!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)