Friday, May 27, 2011

Grizzly Bear Portrait

Grizzly Portrait -- 18" x 18" oil on canvas  $1400.00 SOLD
Click on the image to see it bigger.


                                           Proof that I painted it!! LOL!!

I'm really so happy with this one...that happens so rarely. I haven't even posted the last three large paintings I've finished, because I'm disgusted with them.  I got sick of painting wildlife a few years ago, and I also switched from acrylics to oils, loving the "juiciness" of oil paint. I've since attempted a few grizzly paintings in oil, and they were never quite successful. Grizzly pictures are in high demand here, in Bella Coola, since, other than Alaska, we are their playground, literally. It's not uncommon to see them crossing the road, eating the apples from my tree, or fishing on the river bank, making it easy to get good reference photos. They're fairly used to people and aren't generally much of a threat.
At any rate, I sell every grizzly I paint, so I decided to attempt another, and this time, in acrylic. Now I know why most wildlife painters use it. It's so much easier to get the detail, in a much shorter time. I just don't have the patience to wait for oils to dry to do glazing.
Anyways, I'll have archival, limited edition prints available in a 12" x 12" size, so if you're interested, drop me a line.
Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. this is outstanding work!! I love that it isn't a typical bear painting, he's caught in the middle of something....
    The drops are amazing!!! The only thing I don't like about this painting is the price. I think you could charge at least double what you are asking. I've been to Bella Coola, it's beautiful there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christina!


    And, I've taken Christina's advice, and raised the price from what I previously posted...(if anyone's wondering)
    I always have a horrible time trying to figure out how to price my work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Christina about this piece not being a typical bear painting. I love that he is all wet and drippy, caught fishing. Amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work, I love how wet he looks and the way the fur just drips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stunning. So different from the usual run of bear portraits you see. Congratulations on a fabulous wildlife work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He really looks nice! The fish got away this time? I agree the water dripping off him makes this a different kind of picture. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! you gotta be proud of this one, that's why you just have to show us that you're painting it. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what you think:)